Southern Housing Group is committed to making our website as accessible as possible to our users. We recognise that by creating the best user experience we can reduce the barriers often faced by individuals with disabilities.
The following statement outlines the action we've taken to improve the the accessibility of our website. We shall continually work to assess these provisions and continue to provide a user friendly experience across any device type you use.
We welcome your feedback, so if there is something you think we could improve or do differently, please get in touch.
Global accessibility standards
Our website has been built using code that is compliant with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) standards for HTML and CSS. This means our website should display correctly in current browsers and that any future browsers will also display it correctly.
The Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) is a global technical standard from W3C, which means websites have met a set of basic goals to make content more accessible to visitors with a disability.
WCAG sets out four principles of accessibility: perceivable, operable, understandable and robust. Each principle has 12 guidelines and there are three levels of success criteria for meeting them: A, AA, and AAA.
In accordance with the 'Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018' accessibility regulations; public sector websites or mobile apps are required to meet the international WCAG 2.1 AA accessibility standard
The Group's website has undergone accessibility compliance inspection against the following tools:
● Tool 1: Chrome, Lighthouse accessibility tool - rated in the 90s
'The metrics score ranges are: 0 to 49 (red): Poor, 50 to 89 (orange): Needs Improvement, 90 to 100 (green): Good.'
● Tool 2: AChecker - offers checks against a variety of compliance guidelines, including WCAG 2.0 (Level AA)
● Tool 3: validator.w3.org - an html mark-up validator tool
● Tool 4: WAVE (web accessibility evaluation tool)
Southern Housing Group's website has reached level AA.
We’ve installed assistive technology called Browsealoud on our website, which works across all common browsers and platforms. The software is updated regularly by the supplier.
Browsealoud has many features which help to improve accessibility, including:
- An audio feature, which reads text aloud, including information typed into forms, so visitors can identify spelling mistakes
- A magnifier feature, which enlarges text size specified by the user
- A hyperlink feature, which announces links to the user when text is read aloud
- Options to change the audio speed and voice to suit the user
- A translation option with 99 languages
- Dual colour highlighting to show users where they are on the page
- A screen mask, which can be used to help users create a focal point or ‘dim’ the screen
- A simplify mode, which removes distracting content
To activate Browsealoud, just click on the icon at the bottom right hand side of the web page.
Plain English - We are a corporate member of the Plain English campaign, which shows our commitment to providing information in a clear way that is free from jargon. This website has been approved by the Plain English campaign.
Where possible, we provide documents to download in a PDF format.
If you have difficulties reading a PDF, please visit Adobe's Accessibility Resource Centre, which provides useful information for disabled users.