Looking for a home
Making lives better
Managing your money this Christmas
If you’re thinking of Christmas and worrying about the bills that will be dropping through your letterbox in January, you’re not alone. In fact, you might be surprised to know that it takes the average person in the UK, almost five months to pay off the cost of presents, food and festivities.
Some Christmas saving tips that might help are:
- Make a list and stick to it: It’s east to get dazzled by the many sales around at this time of year and to over spend. Sit down and work out what you can afford this year and then make a list, be strict and stick to it. Remember, something is only a bargain if you were going to buy it in the first place.
- Don’t be afraid to downshift your Christmas food shopping: People often can’t tell the difference and often actually prefer supermarket own brands. Why not try a taste test. Once the meal is over, tell everyone where you bought the food and see what they say! You’d be surprised how many people taste with their eyes (on the packaging) and not their tongues.
- Give a gift with a difference: Presents don’t have to cost money. Remember, giving of your time is often the most wanted and appreciated gift of all. Time is precious and offering to babysit, clean the house, wash a car, have a family games night, walk someone’s dog, or just promising to spend a couple hours with someone, can mean more to loved ones that the most expensive of gifts.
If you think you’ll have a tough time managing this Christmas, we are here to help.
We call our team of Santa’s Helpers - Financial Skills Officers and they aren’t just around for the festive season. They’re here all year and can help with:
- Claiming benefits, including advice with Universal Credit
- Smart money management, including debt management, finding more affordable credit, and avoiding payday loan companies
- Budgeting and planning
- Tips on being intelligent with your money
Christmas is a fantastic time of the year but remember, that period only lasts three days and isn’t worth ruining your finances for.
Universal Credit customers
Universal Credit changes the way, and how often, your money is paid into your account. There can also be delays at the start of a new claim that means there may be a period over Christmas and into the new year where you don’t receive money that you thought you were due.
If you are receiving Universal Credit the same support as listed above can still be offered to you and our FSOs can help you plan and budget around the way the Universal Credit works. To find out more about Universal Credit please visit our website.
Get in touch
If you have any concerns or are worried about managing your money sensibly, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with our team.
To speak to a member of the team confidentially please call 01403 220 440 and select option 2 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
The Group's Stamford Hill estate recently held a Great Get Together in celebration of Jo Cox MP to coincide with more then 116,000 Great Get Togethers around the UK. Read story >
The 'peace and wellbeing' garden at our Stamford Hill estate has enjoyed a recent revamp, courtesy of the Chelsea Flower Show. Read story >
The Group’s Gardening Neighbours scheme has proved very popular since it was launched in March. Find out how the scheme has benefited the community of one proactive custo... Read story >
As a result of the Grenfell Tower fire – we’ve taken some actions and are planning some further work: • We’ve reviewed the Fire Risk Assessments on all of our tower bloc... Read story >
Our customers at Hogarth Court, one of our sheltered housing schemes in east London, recently celebrated the arrival of spring with a spring picnic and a ‘flora corner’. Read story >
In April, the Group supported ten customers in Brighton and Hove to take part in a five week beauty training course. Two graduates from the course, Nadia and Nikki, have ... Read story >
We recently welcomed one of our customers, Lisa Brickell, as a new member of the sheltered housing team. Lisa started her professional journey with us during a six month ... Read story >
Our partnership with Liz Earle continues to grow, with the beauty brand recently helping us transform the outside of one of our Isle of Wight schemes. Read story >
Today marks the launch of a new initiative, designed to help our customers improve their communities one seed at a time. Read story >
One of the Group's community centres, Alpine Grove in Hackney, recently hosted local MP Meg Hillier who visited the centre to speak with residents about some of the issue... Read story >