Southern Housing Group awarded Housing Association of the Year 2018
The Group’s New Sales Team proudly collected the Housing Association of the Year award on Friday 16 November at the What House? Awards 2018.
Over 1,600 guests at the What House? Awards Gala Luncheon saw the New Sales Team led by Sandy MacMillan, Director of Sales & Marketing, collect the Gold award at the Grosvenor House Hotel, Park Lane, London on Friday 16 November.
The Group beat off stiff competition from a range of housing associations from around the UK and knocked The Hyde Group into silver place on the rostrum, and A2 Dominion into the bronze podium position.
The What House? Awards is the largest event in the new homes industry in the UK and celebrates the very best new homes.
Tariq Qureshi, Head of New Homes Sales said, “The team is delighted to win this award. It underlines their passion to deliver quality homes and services to our customers.
"The What House? Awards celebrate both private sales developers and Housing Association activities and so it’s a fantastic platform for our Group to be associated with.”
“Stellar year for impressive performer” say What House? judges
In the judges summing up, the Group made a lasting impression for being, “A consistently impressive performer in the Housing Association category. The judges noted:
• 78% of the Group’s £200m turnover was generated from social housing rentals
• £42m entire surplus is reinvested in the provision of affordable housing
• Group pledge 60% of development will create a further 6,400 affordable units to be delivered by 2027
• To achieve this, aim the Group formed its own construction arm, Southern Housing Construction – work started on the first project in May 2018
• To support growth the Group purchased 524 homes from The Hyde Group across a range of tenures
• Southern Space and Spruce are both performing well
• The Group is active across a range of community and charitable initiatives
At the same event the New Sales Team also collected a Bronze award for Bow River Village in east London in the Best Starter Home category.
Fingers crossed for future awards
The Group is on successful roll having recently scooped the National Housing Awards Best Large Development 2018 award for Bow River Village.
The awards were presented by comedian, Jack Whitehall, with TV sports presenter, Gaby Roslin, who spoke about the gender gap in construction and reflected on her own experience in sports broadcasting.