Aids and adaptations

Aids and adaptations are changes to your home which may help you (or a member of your household) to live independently. These changes could make it easier for you to get in and out of your home, get up and down the stairs or make the use of your bathroom easier.

We understand that your needs may change at any time and if this happens then we would try to help you to continue to live in your home wherever possible. All households differ depending on the circumstances, but we may be able to carry out aids and adaptations to your home.

There are two types of adaptations; minor adaptations and major adaptations.

Minor Adaptations:

These are smaller alterations and examples of these can include; but are not limited to:

  • Grab Rails
  • Hand rails

Major adaptations:

These adjustments are bigger pieces of work and examples of these can include; but are not limited to:

  • Stair lift
  • Hoist
  • Lowered kitchen
  • Walk in/Flush floor Shower

For any major adaptations you will need to be referred to an Occupational Therapist via your GP.  They will assess you and your home and support your request by sending us an Occupational Therapist report.

What do I need to do if I’d like help with aids and adaptations?

If you have any further questions or if you would like any help with aids and adaptations in your home, then please contact our Customer Service Centre on 01403 220440 or you can email

If you’d like, you could also apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant via the Local Authority.