Changing your tenancy

Have your circumstances changed, and you’d like to amend your tenancy?

We’ve put together some useful information which should help answer any questions you may have on requesting to add or remove a person from your tenancy agreement.

Whether you are eligible to apply will depend on the type of tenancy you have, the terms of your tenancy agreement, if there are any outstanding tenancy breaches (for instance rent arrears) and if there has been a previous tenancy change or succession.

Default icon for informational break out box

Mutual Exchange

Did you know you may be able to swap your home with another housing association resident?

Find out more


Adding a joint tenant

If you have a sole tenancy and you want to change this to a joint tenancy, we’ll consider applications from spouses and civil partners or those who live together in a settled relationship as if they were spouses or civil partners.

If you’re on a fixed term or starter tenancy, we’ll only be able to consider applications at the end of your tenancy term.

Removing a joint tenant

If you have a joint tenancy with us and want to change this to a sole tenancy, then both tenants must agree to this change.

If you can’t agree who should have the tenancy, we recommend you seek independent legal advice.

How can I apply?

If you’d like to make a change to your tenancy or if you have any questions, then please contact our Customer Service Centre on 01403 220440 or you can email us at