Mariner Point is a seven storey building, which was built in 2019, meeting all building and fire safety regulations of the time.
Following the completion of this building, changes were made to building regulations. As a result, building management teams across the country must now make sure all buildings are compliant with these new regulations.
Who are all of the parties involved at Mariner Point?
Aside from residents, there are a number of parties involved at Mariner Point:
The Freeholder is WN Developments, which is also the original developer of the building
There is currently no External Managing Agent (EMA) in place. Oakley Property will be coming into this role from 1 July 2021. The EMA is instructed to act on behalf of the Freeholder, WN Developments to manage Mariner Point in accordance with the lease Until 1 July, WN Development has informed us that it will be the responsible party for the safety of the building.
Southern Housing Group is the HeadLessee for the affordable homes within the scheme, including the Shared Ownership homes there.
A headlease is the primary lease agreement that is signed between Southern Housing Group (as the tenant) and the Freeholder (the landlord). We have then entered into individual sublease or tenancy agreements with our home owners and tenants.
As headlease holders at Mariner Point, we are not actively involved in the current fire safety works investigation or responsible for organising or completing any building safety work. We will however work closely with all the relevant stakeholders in order to represent the interests of our residents in this programme as it progresses and ensure that the terms of our lease are fully complied with and residents are kept informed.
What do we understand the current position to be at Mariner Point?
We understand that a number of actions have been undertaken:
1. A pre-occupation Fire Risk Assessment was carried out on 17 December 2018. Additionally, Southern Housing Group carried out a Fire Risk Assessment of the premises on 11 December 2019.
2. We are aware that a Fire Risk Assessment has also been carried out by WN Developments and we have requested a copy of this document.
3. The external walls of the building were initially assessed by Southern Housing Group in 2021 and an External Wall Survey (EWS) was completed. Following this survey, we understand that an EWS1 form at a B2 rating was awarded to Mariner Point. We have seen that this is not usually of a standard that will be acceptable to mortgage lenders
4. The full results of the survey are current with the local Fire Service, which is looking at the findings and making recommendations as to what next steps will be necessary for the EMA and freeholder to take
5. We have written to the freeholder at Mariner Point to request a copy of the EWS1 form, and to remind them that they have a duty to apply for any available government funding to cover the cost of remedial work. We have also requested a meeting with the freeholder to discuss how they see this project moving forward. This letter can be found in the Important Documents section.
What happens next?
We would expect Oakley Properties to carry out a Fire Risk Assessment of the premises upon commencing their contract and will liaise with them and request a copy of this document.
Once we have received the recommendations of the Fire Service from Oakley Property, we will contact residents to let them know the actions that need to be taken, and how they may be impacted.
We are keen to communicate what’s happening with you. This dedicated website for Mariner Point should be your first call for information regarding the fire safety of your property. We will upload copies of all of the news that we receive from the building’s owner regarding progress here and this will be updated regularly. We will also add copies of any reports that we are permitted to in our Important Documents section.
Once Oakley Property take over the contract to manage the building, we will be in regular contact with them, and will be in touch with you whenever we have significant information for you.